Published work: Book Chapters
Eight chapters in multi-author books, most recently:
- Heath H (2009) The Nurse’s Role in the Care of Older People. In Tabernacle B, Honey M, Jinks A (eds) Oxford Handbook of Nursing Older People. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Heath H (2009) Older People Nursing (Insights from Experts). In Levett-Jones T, Bourgeouis S (eds) The Clinical Placement: A Nursing Survival Guide (2nd edition). Balliere Tindall, Elsevier, Australia.
Published work: Monographs, guidance and tools
- Safeguarding Adults at Risk (2013) RCN Publishing. London (contributing author)
- Rights, risks and responsibilities in service redesign for vulnerable groups: RCN Guidance (April 2013) Royal College of Nursing (contributing author).
- Thompson R, Heath H (January 2013) Dementia: Commitment to the care of people with dementia in hospital settings. Royal College of Nursing, London.
- Sturdy D, Heath H, Ballard C, Burns A (2012) Antipsychotic drugs in dementia: A best practice guide for care homes and care professionals. RCN Publishing, London, March 2012.
- Older people in care homes: sex, sexuality and intimate relationships. An RCN discussion and guidance document for the nursing workforce. Royal College of Nursing, London. (Author) Published October 2011. Publication Number 004 136. Available at: http://www.rcn.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/399323/004136.pdf
- Quest for Quality: British Geriatrics Society Joint Working Party Inquiry into healthcare support for older people in care homes: A call for leadership, partnership and quality improvement. British Geriatrics Society, London. (Contributing author) Published June 2011. Available at: http://www.bgs.org.uk/campaigns/carehomes/quest_quality_care_homes.pdf
- Heath H, Sturdy D and the British Society of Gerodontology Oral Health Working Group (2011) Promoting Older People’s Oral Health. Essential Guide. RCN Publishing, London.
- Heath H, Sturdy D, Wilcock G (2010) Improving quality of care for people with dementia in general hospitals. RCN Publishing Ltd. Published with Nursing Standard, Nursing Older People and Hospital Doctor journals.
- Heath H, Sturdy D, Cheesley A (2010) Discharge Planning: A summary of the Department of Health’s guidance Ready to go? Planning the discharge and the transfer of patients from hospital and intermediate care. RCN Publishing Ltd. Published with Nursing Standard and Nursing Older People.
- Heath H, Sturdy D (2009) Living well with dementia in a care home: A guide to implementing the National Dementia Strategy. RCN Publishing Ltd. Published with Nursing Older People, Mental Health Nursing, Caring Times and Journal of Dementia Care.
- Heath H, Sturdy D (2009) Nutrition and Older People. Published with Nursing Standard. 23, 40, June 10 2009.
- Heath H, Sturdy D (2008) Safeguarding Vulnerable Older Adults: The Nursing Role. Published with Nursing Standard June 2007.
- Heath H (2000) NT Monograph. Sexuality in Older Age. Nursing Times Clinical Monographs No 40. London.
- The RCN Assessment Tool: Nursing and Older People (co-author) (1997 and 2004) RCN, London.
- What a Difference a Nurse Makes: Outcome Indicators in the Care of Older People (co-author) (1997 and 2004) RCN, London.
Published work: Journal Papers & Articles
Approximately 80, most recently:
- Phair L, Heath H (2012) Safeguarding vulnerable older people in hospital. Nursing Standard. 27, 4, 50-56.
- Phair L, Heath H (2012) Safeguarding adults at risk: Understanding neglect and how to promote care and compassion. Nursing Standard Special Focus. 27, 21, 30-41.
- Heath H (2012) How to optimise the registered nurse contribution in care homes. Nursing Older People, 24, 2, 23-28.
- Sturdy D, Heath H (2011) Economies of scale: the future of ageing. International Journal of Older People Nursing. 6, 4, 247-248.
Published online: 14 NOV 2011 | DOI: 10.1111/j.1748-3743.2011.00286.x
- Samsi K, Manthorpe J, Nagendran T, Heath H (2011) Challenges and expectations of the Mental Capacity Act 2005: an interview-based study of community-based specialist nurses working in dementia care. Journal of Clinical Nursing. Published online 21November 2011. DOI 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03912.x
- Manthorpe J, Samsi K, Heath H, Charles N (2011) 'Early days': Knowledge and use of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 by care home managers and staff. Dementia. Published online 10 May 2011. DOI: 10.1177/1471301211403970
- Heath H, Phair L (2011) Frailty and its significance in older people’s nursing. Nursing Standard. 26, 3, 50-55.
- Heath H (2011) Older people in care homes: sexuality and intimate relationships. Nursing Older People. 23, 6, 14-20.
- Heath H (2011) The essence of expertise in care for older people – nurses, doctors and teamwork. International Journal of Older People Nursing 6.1.1-2.
- Phair L, Heath H (2010) Neglect of older people in formal care settings part two: new perspectives on investigation and factors determining whether neglect has taken place. Peer reviewed policy and practice paper. Journal of Adult Protection. 12, 4, 6-15.
- Phair L, Heath H (2010) Neglect of older people in formal care settings part one: new perspectives on definition and the nursing contribution to multi-agency safeguarding work: Peer reviewed research paper. Journal of Adult Protection. 12, 3, 5-13.
- Heath H (2010) Outcomes from the work of Registered Nurses working with older people in UK Care Homes. International Journal of Older People Nursing. 5, 2, 116-127.
- McCormack B, Heath H (2010) Outcomes from gerontological nursing: considering person-centredness. International Journal of Older People Nursing. 5, 2, 81-82.
- Heath H (2009) Private function: the nurse’s role in helping older people to use the toilet. Nursing Standard. 24, 2, 42-47.
- Heath H, Phair L (2009) The concept of frailty and its significance in the consequences of care of neglect for older people: an analysis. International Journal of Older People Nursing. 4, 120-131.
- Heath H, Phair L (2009) Shifting the focus: Outcomes of care for older people. International Journal of Older People Nursing. 4, 142-153.
- Owen T, Meyer J, Bentley J, Heath H, Goodman G (2008) Better partnership between care homes and the NHS: Findings from the My Home Life Programme. Journal of Care Services Management. 3, 1, 96-106.
- Heath H, Ford P (2007) Clarifying the confusion over continuing care. Practice Nursing. 18, 4, 172-176.
- Heath H, Sturdy D (2007) Keeping older people safe. Nursing Standard . 40, 20.
- Heath H, Phair L (2007) Emerging Agendas. Nursing Older People, 19, 5, 16-17.
- Meyer J, Heath H, Holman C, Owen T et al (2006) Moving from victim blaming to an appreciative inquiry: exploring quality of life in care homes. Quality in Ageing. 7, 4, 27-36.
- Heath H (2006) The gift of understanding: Behind closed doors. International Journal of Older People Nursing. 1, 4, 250.
- Heath H (2006) No substitute for nurses. Nursing Standard. 21, 10, 19-21.
- Heath H (2006) Progress and variety (Reporting on a feasibility study reviewing existing specialist nurse schemes and links to health and social services for older people). Nursing Older People. 18, 5, 16-18.
- Heath H (2006) Mixing generalism and specialism (editorial). Nursing Older People, 18, 5, 3.
- Heath H (2006) Older people in primary care. Primary Health Care. 16, 3, 18-20.
- Heath H, Watson R (2006) Assessing older people for health and functioning. Nursing & Residential Care. 8, 8, 349-351.
- Heath H, Watson R (2006) Assessing older people for living in a care homes. Nursing & Residential Care. 8, 7, 309-312.
Over 40 including:
- PhD: The work of Registered Nurses and Care Assistants with older people in nursing homes: can the outcomes be distinguished? (2006)
- Master of Science in Advanced Clinical Practice (Care of Older People) (1994)
- Bachelor of Arts in Nursing Older People: Awarded with First Class Honours (1989)
- Diploma in Nursing, London University (Speciality Medical Nursing) (1983)
- English National Board Certificate in Nursing Older People (Course 941) (1986)
- Certificate in Education (Distinction) (1985)
- Further Education Teacher’s Certificate (Distinction) (1983)
- Registered as a General Nurse (1979)
- Registered as a Clinical Nurse Teacher (1983)
- Registered as a Nurse Tutor (1985)